Five damaged bridges prolong public suffering in Sunamganj
Published: 21 August 2026, 10:46:23

Photo shows Jagadishpur bridge in Kolkolia Union of Sunamganj’s Jagannathpur Upazila. Collected Photo
Sunamganj Correspondent : Public sufferings prolonged in Sunamganj’s Jagannathpur Upazila as a project to rebuild five bridges damaged by flood has been terminated by a recent court order after the works for the project had not progressed following their handover to the contractor in 2022.
Locals said they have been suffering for a long time due to the damaged Jagdishpur bridge in Kolkolia Union; Ghoshgaon bridge in Raniganj Union; Lautola and Rasulganj bridges in Patli Union; and the Sriramsi village bridge in Mirpur Union. The project for rebuilding the bridges — scheduled for completion by June 30 – was handed over to contracting company Messrs. Md. Jamil Iqbal with an allocation of Tk 250 million.
Sayeed Ahmed, a youth from Jagadishpur village, said their sufferings are beyond description due to the damaged bridges for a long time. “It seems like no one is watching this.”
“There are no words to express our sorrow,” Ahmed Ali, a resident of Ghoshgaon village, said, alleging bureaucratic complications and the lack of discipline to start the bridge works.
Dabir Mia of Lautola village said that the transportation system has collapsed due to the failure to rebuild the bridges damaged by the floods. “We are tired, angry and disappointed after knocking on the doors of the concerned (contractor). We called the mobile phone of the contractor Jamil Iqbal several times to inquire about this, but he did not answer his phone.”
Sohrab Hossain, Jagannathpur Upazila Engineer at the Local Government Engineering Department (LGED), said, “We have written to the contractor repeatedly, but the contractor had not responded to our letters. The work has been canceled as they did not complete the work by the specified time of June.”
LGED, Sunamganj, Executive Engineer Md Anwar Hossain said they were about to float new tenders after canceling the contractor Jamil Iqbal’s job. “But last week the matter had been stayed through a court order. Now we can’t go for new tenders,” he added.



