Israel strikes Hezbollah site in southern Lebanon amid ongoing tensions
Published: 31 August 2025, 4:10:59
The Israeli military confirmed on Sunday that it carried out an airstrike on a Hezbollah site in southern Lebanon, targeting what it described as military infrastructure, including underground facilities.
In a statement, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said the strike hit a location in the Beaufort Ridge area where “military activity was identified.” The army said the existence and use of the site violated prior understandings between Israel and Lebanon.
The attack comes despite a fragile ceasefire reached in November last year, which aimed to halt over a year of hostilities between Israel and the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah following the war in Gaza.
As part of the truce, Lebanon’s army—with support from UN peacekeepers—has been deploying in the south and dismantling Hezbollah’s military infrastructure. However, Israel has continued targeting Hezbollah positions, insisting it will not stop until the group is fully disarmed.
Amid international efforts to reduce tensions, the United States has reportedly pressured Beirut to draw up a plan for disarming Hezbollah by the end of 2025. The group, however, has strongly rejected any such move, vowing to resist attempts to remove its weapons.