Healthy diet plan and exercise tips over 60 years
Being overweight makes management of many chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes etc difficult for the elderly people, which also results in many life threatening complications like heart attacks, stroke, uncontrolled diabetes etc. thus, maintaining a normal BMI is very essential for healthy aging but losing weight after 60 is also very tricky, Hindustan Times Reported.
Some tips for a healthy diet are:
1. High protein and low calorie diet should be taken.
2. Drink plenty of fluids
3. Eat small portions of meals in short intervals.
4. Avoid red meat
5. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
He added that exercise not only helps in burning calories but also helps in building muscle mass hence, regular light exercises as per body capability should be done. Some of the exercises that can be done include:
1. Walking up to 45 minutes a day
2. Light Yoga under supervision
3. Indoor cycling
4. Light weight training
According to him, exercises to be avoided include:
2. Pull ups
4. Long distance cycling
5. Anything else that requires great body effort or produces stress on joints.
Dr Deepak Mittal, Founder of Divine Soul Yoga suggested the diet tips mentioned below to be followed along with Yoga:
1. Instead of seasoning your foods with salt, use fresh herbs and spices 2. Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated
3. Eat more whole grains, fish, veggies, fruits, beans, and low-fat or fat-free dairy
4. Limit empty calories, like sugars and foods with little or no nutritional value
5. Do not cut all fats from your diet; eliminate the saturated and trans fats
Dr G Prakash, Deputy- Chief Medical Officer at Jindal Naturecure Institute, highlighted, “As you age, your muscle mass declines. The secret to burning more calories is to maintain your muscle mass. Yoga, pranayama, breathing exercises and brisk walking can work for the elderly in losing weight without making them much tired and feel weak. Since elderly people often suffer from heart problems and bone-related problems, they should avoid weight lifting or heavy exercises.”
Given below are some of the tips that he recommended should be followed by people above 60 for weight loss:
Eat more small meals and snacks and don’t fast for more than 3 hours.
Keep yourself hydrated. Have fruits and vegetables like cucumber, orange, watermelon and melon which are high in water content
The elderly need to increase their calcium and Vitamin D intake as they have weaker bones. Include milk, lentils, green leafy vegetables and oranges in the diet.
Avoid eating out as it is difficult to count calories and it will limit your intake of saturated and trans fats.
Whatever measures taken to lose weight should be done under strict medical or expert supervision. A healthy lifestyle and normal BMI will always help in healthy aging.