A Bangladeshi man was under arrest in hospital on Tuesday on suspicion of the murder of an elderly man, believed his family member and the stabbing of three children in their family home in Bethnal Green.
Suluk Ahmed, 31, was charged following the incident. He was also charged with two attempted murders in the terraced council house.
Ahmed, who appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, was charged by detectives after being treated in hospital for injuries.
Three children were brought out of the house at the end of the cul-de-sac on Sunday evening, a two-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl found with stab injuries and a 13-year-old boy found with minor injuries.
Neighbours spoke of their shock after the home in the quiet cul-de-sac in East London was turned into a “bloodbath” on Sunday night. Police and paramedics were called to the property in Huddleston Close, Bethnal Green, at around 6.15pm after reports of the incident.
When they arrived at the three-storey house they found 79-year-old Jamir Ali with multiple stab wounds. He was taken to hospital but died later from a heart attack. Police found the 11-year-old girl and the boy, two, with stab injuries and another boy, 13, with minor cuts.
All three were taken to hospital in “blood stained clothing” but were in a stable condition. Suluk Ahmed, believed to be related to the victims, was found inside the house after trying to cut his wrists with scissors.
He was also taken to hospital where he was arrested on suspicion of murder. He will be questioned by detectives later on.
Mr Ali was described by neighbours as a “kindly old gentleman”.
Known affectionately as “uncle”, he had suffered ill health in recent years and was very closely associated to his family. A neighbour said: “We are shocked by what has happened. They seemed a perfectly happy family with no problems. Uncle, as we knew him, was just a lovely man.”
Neighour, Sarah Morgan said: “We saw the police arrive and screaming coming from a neighbouring house. You feel you do not want to let your kids out because it’s not safe.”
Naher Haque said: “I was shocked when I got home because I saw the police and at first I thought it was one of my family members.
“I saw the family coming out of the house and the baby being carried into the ambulance. He had been bandaged up.”
Another neighbour who declined to give her name said:
“I was shocked because I have never experienced anything like this around here before. I did not know how serious it was until later on.”
Another said: “He used to play games with the children in the house and was the head of the family. You could not meet a gentler person.” Neighbours said they heard shouts of “calm down, calm down” minutes before police and paramedics arrived. They watched in horror as two of the children were led away by officers to an ambulance.
Neighbour Natalie Anderson, 34, said: “There were six ambulances and police wagons with their lights flashing. I saw them carrying out the two-year-old, who was looking in a bad way. He was unconscious. Two older children walked out with minor stab injuries but the youngest was the most badly hurt. They took the older man out in a wheelchair and he was conscious.”
Other neighbours said the popular family had lived in the six-bedroom housing association property for 23 years.
Scotland Yard has launched a murder investigation. A spokesman said: “Officers attended and found five people suffering from various injuries. A 31-year-old man was found with self-inflicted injuries and was taken to an East London hospital where he remains in a stable condition. He has been arrested on suspicion of murder.”
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s Homicide and Major Crime Command were said to be keeping “an open mind” about the motive in the attack.